March 22, 2012
March 22, 2012: World Water Day Social Media Tour
March 22nd marks the United Nations sponsored World Water Day: A day for us to gauge how we can minimize our water footprint to maximize resources for all. The global theme for 2012 is: “Water security is food security – the world is thirsty because we are hungry.”
Here’s a whirlwind social media tour for the best resources to educate, facilitate and accelerate all of us to make a difference in our daily use of water. The 2-minute video is the perfect place to start and make water everybody’s business to improve the standard of living across the world . (FYI, since most of the references are made with the metric system, it takes about 4 liters to make 1 gallon.)
- YouTube: an English video with Chinese subtitles;
- Twitter: Follow Tweets or tweet;
- Facebook:Register or Like
- Flickr: Access campaign materials.
So the next time we decide what we eat, it may be good to know that the UN Food and Agriculture Organization estimates our water footprint:
- 36 gallons of water to produce one egg;
- 68 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of fruit or vegetables;
- 55 gallons of water to produce one glass of milk;
- 3,400 gallons of water to produce one half pound of beef;
- 132 gallons of water to eat a standard breakfast of one egg, a glass of milk, 4 ounces of fruit and 2 slices of bread with butter – that’s enough water to take a five-minute shower each day for one month.
Although each of us drinks about one half gallon of water per day, it takes far more water to sustain our way of life. Since water is the essence of life on earth, what are some of the ways we can conserve to minimize our water footprint on a daily basis? Learn more at UNWater.org.
Author: admin | Share:
- Technorati Media names Rohan Chandran as SVP of Product
- Technorati Media CEO set to keynote SMSS Chicago
- Technorati Media’s 2013 Digital Influence Report
- Spending on social is up, but is it going to the right place?
- Research: YouTube beats Facebook with consumers